An Aging Life Care Professional™ shares how his creative solutions helped a daughter honor her mother’s wishes by keeping her father living safely at home. Finding caregiving solutions for your specific situation is what Aging Life Care Professionals do best.
Finding the Right Caregiver Makes a Big Difference
Caring for an aging loved one can be a stressful, emotional roller-coaster. Add to that the responsibility of honoring your dying mother’s wishes that your father not be placed in a living facility, and you may find yourself pulling out your hair.
That’s how Sally felt when she finally met Aging Life Care Professional™ Steven Barlam via her Elder Law Attorney. Here Steve shares how his creative solutions to finding Sally’s father a caregiver made all the difference in keeping her father living safely at home.
HOW DO YOU KNOW THAT YOU NEED AN AGING LIFE CARE PROFESSIONAL?
When caregiving for an aging family member becomes overwhelming, it may be time to contact an Aging Life Care Professional.
You may need an Aging Life Care Professional if the person you are caring for:
- has multiple medical or psychological issues
- is unable to live safely in their current environment
- is not pleased with current care providers and requires advocacy
- is confused about their own financial and/or legal situation
- has limited or no family support
Or if your family:
- has just become involved with helping the individual and needs direction about available services
- is either “burned out” or confused about care solutions
- has limited time and/or expertise in dealing with the individual’s chronic care needs and does not live close by
- is at odds regarding care decisions
- needs education and/or direction in dealing with behaviors associated with dementia
If you are looking for an Aging Life Care Professional in your area, aginglifecare.org includes a searchable directory of our members. These experts can do for you what Steve did for Sally and her father.
About the author: Steven Barlam, MSW, LCSW, CMC is an Aging Life Care Professional and Fellow of the Leadership Academy. Barlam is the Executive Vice President of Care Coordination and Co-Founder of LivHOME – provider of in-home care solutions.
This blog is for informational purposes only and does not constitute, nor is it intended to be a substitute for, professional advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Information on this blog does not necessarily reflect official positions of the Aging Life Care Association™ and is provided “as is” without warranty. Always consult with a qualified professional with any particular questions you may have regarding your or a family member’s needs.